Building Inspection Directory
THIS DEPARTMENT IS CURRENTLY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC, HOWEVER ACCEPTING PHONE CALLS
Location of City Building Inspections Office
The Department of Inspections office is located on the 1st floor of the Hamilton Building, 1090 Cranston Street, next to the senior center.
It is the responsibility of the Department of Inspections to verify compliance with the provisions of the current edition of The Rhode Island State Building Code, which include The International Codes (ICC) for Building, Residential, Mechanical, Plumbing, Energy, Fuel Gas, Property Maintenance, and The National Electrical Code as amended. Additionally, The Department of Inspections enforces The City of Cranston Zoning Code and other related City Ordinances.
Permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish a structure, or change the occupancy of a building from one use group to another as defined in The State of Rhode Island Building Code. Also, the installation or alteration of any equipment which is regulated by the code requires a written application to be made, and the required permit to be obtained. Ordinary repairs which do not involve any violation of the building code shall be exempt from this provision.
Any contractor who performs work on another person's home must be licensed or registered by the State of Rhode Island.
Ordinary repairs to buildings and structures may be made without application or notice to the building official, but the repairs shall not include:
(1) The installation of any siding
(2) The cutting away of any wall, partition or portion of the wall
(3) The removal or cutting away of any structural beam or bearing support
(4) The removal or change of any required means of egress
(5) Rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the exit way requirements
(6) Alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standard pipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping
(7) Electric wiring; including the removal and reattachment of an electrical meter when installing siding.
(8) Mechanical or other work which affects public health, safety or welfare.
(9) Roofing repairs greater thna 100 squre feet.
(10) Replacement windows.
Work not classified as ordinary repair shall comply with the rules and regulations or ordinances of The City of Cranston as to the procurement of a permit for the repairs.
Please contact The Department of Inspections for information regarding work exempt from a permit as defined in The Rhode Island State Building Code.
Inspectors are available to answer questions and to make inspection appointments from 8:30-9:30 AM, and from 3:30-430 PM.
For further information, call 780-6012.